Mohawk Kahn-Tineta Speaking Here Today

Kahn-Tineta Horn-a member of the Wolf Clan of Mohawk Nations-will speak at Harvard tonight as part of a fund-raising tour.

Kahn-Tineta, of the Caughnawaga reservation in Quebec is attempting to raise money to maintain a staff of lawyers "to fight the attempt of the Canadian Minister of Indian Affairs to suspend Canadian-Indian treaties," according to Russell L. Barsh '71 of the Harvard Intertribal Council.

Canadian Changes

Barsh said that Canada is trying to abolish Indian reserves, eliminate special legal status for Indians, and terminate special educational and economic assistance.

During recent months, Kahn-Tineta has travelled 11,000 miles on a fund-raising tour. She has visited Alcatraz Indian Island, spoken on many reserves, and addressed Indian groups across the United States. She frequently confers with Iroquois ironworkers who construct skyscrapers in the U.S. but live on her reserve in Canada.

Barsh also said that the Caughnawaga reserve is the place of origin of about 400 Boston construction workers,

Kahn-Tineta has said that she is "fighting in Canada against the government's policy of termination of all indian land ownership and treaty rights, and in the United States against discouragement and despair on the part of many Indians living in cities."

She is speaking at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the New Classroom Building 105 at the Law School.