Big Bats Bombard Bruins; Brown Boots Both Battles

Harvard let loose with the big guns Saturday as the Crimson swept Brown in a doubleheader. 8-7, 8-4 at the Bruins'Aldrich-Dexter Field.

The varsity nine, 14-5 for the season and 3-4 in the Eastern League, faces Boston University today at 3 p. m. on Soldiers'Field.

The Crimson manhandled four Brown pitchers in the twin bill, collecting 18 hits, including three homers, two triples, and three doubles. Left fielder Dan DeMichele led the assault. cracking five hits in two games. But it was the slugging of big Pete Varney. who accounted for two homers, that had the stands buzzing.

Brown was ahead 7-6 in the first game when Varney stepped to the plate. Bob Flanders, the Bruins' pitcher delivered a curve that hung a little too high, and the next order of business was to try and find the ball.

Flanders Flounders

Flanders, who didn't even turn around when the ball was bit, was admittedly shaken. "That was what I call a real long-tatter downtown (Bruin jive for home run)," Flanders said. "It's a good thing there were no women or children in the path of that one."

The Harvard defense had proved to be its own worse enemy in the second inning as an error permitted two Bruins to cross the plate. But the Crimson came back for five runs in the fourth, aided by four walks by Flanders. Varney's shot tied itin the sixth, and DeMichele knocked in what proved to be the winning run with a double in the eighth.

Brown Blitz

Bill Kelly, who relieved the ineffective Kidwell, kept the Bruins in check over the last five innings after surviving a three-run Brown blitz in the fourth.

DeMichele got the machine rolling in the first inning of the second game by blasting a two-run homer off Brown starter Fred Armenti. The Crimson chased Armenti with a four-run splurge in the third. Varney was the Bruin nemesis again as he hit his second homer of he day.

This drive, a two-run shot, cleared the left-center fence with plenty to spare, and if landed over 420 feet from the plate. This gave Harvard starter Phil Collins an 8-1 lead, and for all practical matters, the game was over.