Polled Bulletin Readers Favor Nader in GM Fight

By David Sellinger

Preliminary returns on a referendum undertaken by the Harvard Bulletin show that the magazine's readers, most of whom are alumni, favor-in a 4:3 ratio-voting Harvard's General Motors shares with Ralph Nader's group, the Project on Corporate Responsibility.

The results of the poll will be shown to President Pusey at his press conference tomorrow, and could affect the Harvard Corporation's upcoming decision on the proxy fight.

The Project on Corporate Responsibility is campaigning to force General Motors to change its current policy on environmental protection, automobile safety features, public health, and civil rights. The reform group will try to elect three new directors, and to introduce nine shareholders proposals at GM's annual meeting on May 22.

In its Apil 6 meeting, the Harvard Corporation postponed final decision on how to cast its 287,000 GM proxies, in order to give "interested or informed individuals, students or faculty" an opportunity to express their opinions. The student-Faculty Committee on Community Relations has already recommended support of the Nader contingent.

Reader Referendum

The Bulletin's reader referendum was included in an article entitled, "How should Harvard vote its stock in General Motors." which appeared in the April 13 issue. As of last Friday, over 1500 of the 22,000 Bulletin readers had replied to the enclosed questionnaire.

More than two-thirds of the respondents polled also indicated that in general. the Cooperation should "consider public policy as well as income production in planning and voting its incomeportfolio," and over four-fifths concurred that opinions on important concurred that opinions on important University issues should be "solicited from all alumni (not just Bulletin readers) in the annual balloting for Overseers and Associated Harvard Alumni directors."