Trackmen Score 32 Points And Take Lead in GBC's

As expected, Harvard's track team ran, threw, and jumped its way into first place during the first day of the two-day Greater Boston Track Championships yesterday afternoon at Boston College.

The Crimson's field events crew scored all 32 of Harvard's first-place points while the runners were busy qualifying for the finals in their events today. In second place behind Harvard, was Boston University with 15 points, followed by Tufts with 8.

Harvard's one-two combination of Skip Hare and Bob Galliers snatched the first two places in the long jump with Hare winning on a jump of 22'11". Ed Baskaukas' jump of 6'5" was good enough for a second in the high jump, while senior Jim Coleman grabbed a fourth on the basis of fewer misses.

Richie Szaro and Frank Champi switched places from their Dartmouth meet performances as Szaro won the javelin throw with a heave of 214'4". Champi was second, chucking the spear 204'3", Gerry Hevern and Jake Driscoll took third and fifth respectively in the shot put.

Harvard also qualified at least two runners for the finals of the 220, 440, 440 hurdles, and 880. Captain Keith Colburn's qualifying time of 1:50.6 in the half-mile was one of yesterday's best performances. Chris Alvord also won both heats of the 100 and 220 yard dashes and will advance as the heavy favorite into the finals of these events today.

With Harvard tightly entrenched in first place. Coach Bill McCurdy is not worried that neither ace miler Roy Shaw nor Penn Relay steeplechase record setter Dave Pottetti will enter today's running events. "Northeastern is the only team with any running potential." McCurdy said, "and at the moment they're back in fifth place with only three points."