Watson, Garland Trustee, Turns Down Student Pleas

A one-day student-faculty strike and sit-in at Garland Junior College last Thursday failed to change the decision of the college's Board of Trustees, chaired by Dean Watson '37, to accept the resignation of Garland president, Frederic B. Viaux '40.

In his announcement yesterday to the 400 students of the Boston Women's College, Watson stated that the executive committee of the Board had reallirmed its decision of last Wednesday to accept Viaux's resignation.

All student and faculty stayed away from classes Thursday, and about 100 students occupied a classroom building to persuade the Board that Viaux should remain as Garland's president.

As a result of the demonstration. Watson agreed to let faculty and student representatives state their views before a meeting of the executive committee.

The committee decided yesterday morning not to accede to the student-faculty requests because, Watson said, the Board members felt that Gariand needed someone who could perform better in the areas of "management and fund-raising."

Viaux repeated to the students yesterday his intention to resign as of June 30, 1970.

"Tremendous Support"

One student said that in Viaux's eight years as president, he has greatly improved Garland scholastically and had "tremendous support among students and faculty."

"Watson could have handled the situation better than he did." another student said. "He broke his promises to the students and kept putting off meeting with them." Denying knowledge of any further plans by students or faculty. she said, "There's nothing we can do now."