Third Round Match Ends Chances For Faller in NCAA Tournament

By R. W. D.

Junior Mark Faller advanced to the third round of the NCAA wrestling championships on March 26 in Evanston, ???, but he could not rally against Northwestern's Bill Laurson to go on to Friday's quarterfinals.

Faller defeated Phil Bourg of Missouri, 6-3. in his opening bout, and then pinned Grog Giordano of William and Mary before losing to Laurson, 4-0, in a latenight bout that concluded Thursday's action in the 158-pound weight class.

Against Laurson. Faller lacked the initiative he showed in his first two maiches, and he could not rebound from an early deficit. Laurson did most of the shooting in the first period, only to have the Crimson's lone representative at the NCAA's turn back his advances.

Questionable Take Down

Then, with less than ten seconds remaining in the period. Laurson scored a questionable takedown to go ahead, 2-0.

Laurson chose top in the second stanza and managed to keep Faller on the mat throughout the period. Faller unwisely decided on a similar tack in the final period, and time became a vital factor.

Faller needed a predicament to win, but as he pushed for a takedown toward the end of the third period. Laurson reversed him to clinch the bout.

Laurson lost to Kim Suider of Oregon State by one point in the next round to squelch any chance Faller had of entering the consolation bracket. Snider in turn lost to Dave Martin of lowa State, the eventual winner.

Faller had not expected to wrestle three bouts on the opening day of the tournament, but due to the record number of entrants (396), an additional round of competition was forced on some weight classes.

"Mark just didn't have the zip in that third match," coach John Lee said, "but none of these guys were that much better than him."

With the two NCAA victories, Faller finished the season with a 22-2-1 record.