May Poses Curriculum Queries For Faculty Talks Next Week

Dean May has submitted three questions on curriculum reform to the Faculty for discussion at its April 14 meeting.

The changes to be considered are abolition of concentration requirements, changes in the number of courses required for the A.B. degree, and the possibility of granting credit for extracurricular work.

May asked students and Faculty members wishing to speak about these issues at the Faculty meeting to meet with him before next week.

May compiled the questions from preliminary reports submitted by the House curriculum committees. May circulated them among members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) who approved the questions at the first meeting in March.

"The student members of the CUE accepted the validity of the questions so long as they do not imply any specific alternatives and under the agreement that more and wider questions will be directed to the Faculty at a later date," Steven R. Bowman '72. one of the student members of the CUE, said.

Nine other questions which, according to the student members of the CUE, cover the issues more fully are printed on page two of today's CRIMSON.

"I think these three questions I submitted do hit the key issues facing curriculum reform so that once the implications of these questions can be realized by the Faculty, we can start work towards wording legislation," said May.

The three questions submitted by May are:

Should each candidate for the A.B. degree fulfill a set of concentration requirements?

Should the completion of 16 courses at the usual rate of four per year continue as a prerequisite for the A.B. degree?

Should students obtain credit for applied or field work towards the A.B. degree?