Where Cambodia Is Still Studied Under Geography; Bob Jones Univ.

By Garrett Epps and Scott W. Jacobs

At Bob Jones University yesterday, no one marched. no one picketed and one person was continued to campus for missing the curfew last weekend.

The war in Cambodia has changed nothing at this ultra-conservative Southern school outside Greenville, South Carolina. Campus life goes on as regularly as the war.

"We haven't had any sort of demonstration or anything like that," Bob Harrison, B.J.U. public relations director, said yesterday. "Students here are for winning the war and then getting out. They are behind the President because he is our President."

NEWS FEATURE

There are 4000 students at B.J.U. who are studying for a BA or Ph.D. in Religion or Fine Arts, the only two graduate programs the university offers. Founded in 1935 as a nondenominational fundamentalist college, Bob Jones University is "dedicated to teaching a Christian perspective in liberal arts education." Harrison said.

Rigid Curfew

Alcohol is strictly prohibited, and dating takes place only under tightly supervised conditions in girls dormitories. Heavily-armed campus guards patrol the 400-acre campus to prevent curfew violations by students too eager to taste the joys of metropolitan Greenville.

"We look at everything from a Christian standpoint here." Harrison said. "But that doesn't mean we don't run regular educational programs. We just use as our starting point the doctrines of the Scriptures-the Virgin Birth, the revealed word of God, and so forth."

Bob Jones Jr., President of Bob Jones University (the University was started by his father, Bob Jones, Sr.) released a statement which he read in last Thursday's chapel service (daily chapel attendance is required for young ladies and gentlemen at B.J.U.).

"This business of these students who were killed at Kent State University is an unfortunate thing." he said. "It is unfortunate that those young people were killed."

Property Protectors

"But you know, it is more unfortunate that all those guards were injured by young people attacking them and that it was necessary for those men to shoot to protect property."

"It is contemptible for students to come in and attack a building and not expect to get killed," he said.

One student contacted yesterday refused to talk to reporters, explaining that he needed permission from the Public Relations Office before he could say anything. "Why don't you talk to the Public Relations people?." he asked. "I'm sure they could fix up a real nice talk with some students."