60 on Law Faculty Send Congress Anti-War Letter

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Sixty law professors-more than 90 per cent of the Law Faculty-have sent every member of Congress an open letter asking them to support pending legislation to bring a "speedy. consistently-pursued withdrawal of American forces from Indochina."

Although the professors signed the letter as individuals, it is an unprecedented gesture by the Law Faculty.

"This is the most that ever agreed together on any issue of national policy in my memory." said Jerome A. Cohen. professor of Law and one of the original sponsors of the letter.

"I would hope that this statement is only a beginning." said Charles Fried, professor of Law and another drafter of the letter.

"This is not likely to strike too many members of Congress, frankly. What I do hope is that it will mark the beginning of a greater and greater involvement by the signers-and by people like them," he added.

The overwhelming support for the letter reflects the depth of anti-war activity by law professors and law students within the last week.

About one-third of the students have attended classes in the last week as hundreds of others have begun working almost full time on projects ranging from legal research on the war to organizing for Congressional elections this fall.

Adam Yarmolinsky '43, professor of Law, and Abram Chayes '43. professor of Law-both veterans of the Kennedy administration-have been the two most visibly active professors, although Yarmolinsky has concentrated his efforts on Faculty and outside activities.

Chayes has coordinated with students a variety of anti-war efforts-including fund raising and lobbying for legislation-in addition to joining Yarmolinsky in the group of senior faculty members who met with top Administration officials in Washington Friday.

Chayes. who served in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations as top legal adviser to the State Department, has also been working closely with Sen. George McGovern's (D-S.D.) office on his proposal to cut off funds for offensive military actions in Southeast Asia.

Other professors, including Derek C. Bok, dean of the Law School, and Albert M. Sacks, Dane Professor of Law. joined with a group of deans and Corporation members who are trying to coordinate fund raising efforts for anti-war political campaigns.

Professors and students. including 12 members of the prestigious Harvard Law Review, have already done extensive research on the constitutional questions involved in Congress' attempt to control military commitments, and they plan to continue their work to include questions of international law.

Chayes said yesterday that he will circulate lists of Senators wavering in upcoming votes so that faculty members acquainted with them can do "missionary work" with them.

But longer-range plans for the fall elections are already underway as students preparing for the elections decide what races to concentrate on, and that effort seems likely to be the major focus of activity. "That's the quickest way to concentrate political effects." Cohen said.