English Depl. Replies To Junior Complains

By M. S. K.

The English Department has replied to two juniors who threatened to organize a boycott of junior general examinations Tuesday over "arbitrary" revised rules for the exam.

In a letter printed on page two of today's CRIMSON, John M. Bullitt '43, professor of English and director of undergraduate studies in Engish, said the Bible. Shakespeare, and junior author requirements-the ones at issue-are being reviewed by an English Department student-Faculty curriculum committee, for possible changes by next Fall.

"For them to urge, however, a boycott of the examination on the grounds that many students have been exempted from parts or all of the exam for 'arbitrary' reasons seems to be a rather arbitrary exercise of the right to express negative views," he added.

Mary Littlefield '71 and Ernie Brooks '71 complained that students were being exempted from parts of the exam for work done in classes, but not for equivalent work done in tutorials.

The student-faculty curriculum committee has called a meeting for 4:30 p. m. Monday to discuss the exam and the boycott. A location will be announced.