Unbeaten Cindermen Face Army at West Point Today

By Robert Decherd

Fresh from its ninth consecutive victory in the Greater Boston Championships Wednesday, the Harvard track team meets Army at West Point this afternoon in its toughest dual meet to date.

Head coach Bill McCurdy is confident but said last week that the Cadets pose the greatest dual threat to the Crimson's bid for a second straight undefeated outdoor season. "We'll have to be at our best to beat them," he said.

McCurdy expressed similar sentiments in December when the two teams met indoors. At the time he said. "We think we'll win: they think they'll win. It's as close as that. What more can I say?"

That question was soon answered, as the Crimson rode strong performances by Ed Nosal. Skip Hare, and captain Keith Colburn to a sound 65-44 victory. The margin of victory was the largest ever in the Harvard-Army dual series.

With the addition of the javelin and the longer distances in the sprints, the chances for an upset by the Cadets today are greatly diminished.

That Makes 320

The Crimson's Richie Szaro and Frank Champi should dominate the javelin, and junior Chris Alvord has come into his own in the 100 and the 220. Although Alvord had to settle for a second in the 100 at the GBC's-his first loss this season-he is favored to win both events today.

Skip Hare and Bob Galliers will try to pad an early Harvard lead by sweeping the broad jump and the triple jump: the distance coalition of Colburn. Roy Shaw, Jon Enscoe, Erik Roth, and Mike Koerner should put the meet out of reach.

Walter Johnson is expected to contribute first in the 140-yard high hurdles and the 440 intermediate hardness to stretch the Crimson's lead before the final distance event-the two-mile-gets under way.

Although the Cadets could cause some anxious moments if everything goes their way. McCurdy and his team regard today's dual confrontation as a final step before the all-important Hep Championships next weekend in New Haven.

"That's the one that really counts," McCurdy said.