Lightweights Top Yale, Princeton

Harvard's lightweight crew established itself as a heavy favorite in next week's Eastern Sprints by smashing both Princeton and Yale Saturday on the Housatonic River to remain the only undefeated light weight crew in the East.

The Crimson lights whipped both of the other previously undefeated Eastern crews by more than three boat-lengths. Harvard covered Yale's 2000-meter course in 6:15.1 to beat the Elis by 11.5 seconds and the Tigers by 13.5.

The win-the lights' fourth this year-was the 14th consecutive for Harvard lightweights in intercollegiate competition.

Nothing New

The Harvard squad outworked its opponents Saturday in a fashion similar to the way it handled challengers in its first three races this year.

Harvard exploded to a half-length lead over both Yale and Princeton off the starting line. And after steadily increasing its lead to one-and-one-half lengths before ?? crews reached the 1000-meter mark, the Crimson quickly put another half-length between itself and its opponents with 20 power strokes.

After maintaining its two-length lead for the next 500 meters. Harvard increased its advantage to more than three lengths with a fast finish.

The junior varsity and freshman team also beat crews from Yale and Princeton to remain unbeaten.

The junior varsity jumped off to a good start, increased its lead to one length before hitting the 1000-meter mark, and hung on to beat Yale by less than a length.

The freshman started slowly, but then rallied in the last 1000 meters to defeat Princeton by a length-and-a-half and Yale by about five.