Guard Kills 4 at Kent; Strike Sweeps Nation

By J. W. Stillman

Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire yesterday on fleeing anti-war demonstrators at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, killing four and wounding eleven students. Meanwhile the national university strike protesting the U. S. invasion of Cambodia continued to sweep colleges across the country.

Guardsmen-ordered into Kent Sunday by Ohio Gov. James A. Rhodes-shot tear gas at 400 to 500 demonstrators gathered on the campus commons. Students threw rocks and hurled back the gas canisters. As the demonstrators dispersed, guardsmen armed with rifles fired a volley at the fleeing demonstrators.

Shut Down

Kent State president Robert I. White immediately shut down the university, ordering all students, faculty, and staff members to go home "as quickly as possible." Telephone communication to the campus and much of Northeastern Ohio was cut off yesterday.

Sunday night 800 guardsmen used bayonets and tear gas to break up a demonstration of nearly 1200 students at Kent State. At least one student was bayoneted in the back and one guardsman was hurt by a rock.

Four students-two men and two women-were killed by the volley. They were identified as Jeffrey Miller, 20, of Plainview, N. Y.; Allison Krause, 19, of Pittsburgh, Pa.; Sandy Lee Scheuer, 20, of Youngstown, Ohio; and William Schroeder, 19, of Lorain, Ohio.

Jive

President Nixon said the incident should remind everyone that "when dissent turns to violence it invites tragedy."

More than 1000 police and Guardsmen used tear gas last night to disperse several thousand demonstrators at the University of Maryland in College Park. Students at Berkeley burned an army truck and ran a burning U. S. flag up a flag pole.

In Washington, D. C., National Student Association President Charles Palmer called for a national universitystrike to protest the escalation of U. S. military activity in Southeast Asia and said his organization would try to help coordinate the protest.

The Student Mobilization Committee plans a rally at noon today at the State House in Boston. The New Mobilization Committee has called for a mass demonstration on Boston Common this Saturday to protest the invasion of Cambodia.

The presidents of 30 colleges and universities have signed a telegram urging the President to bring a rapid end to American involvement in Indochina and seeking an immediate meeting with him.

Yesterday M. I. T., Wellesley, Northeastern, Tufts, Brandeis, Lowell Tech, Simmons, and UMass voted along with Harvard to boycott classes. At Boston University 1500 students voted last night to strike and planned obstructive picket lines outside buildings where examinations are to be held today.

At the University of Rhode Island a strike was voted, ROTC offices and cars were burned, and students attempted to block traffic on Route 1. Strikes began or were planned in innumerable colleges across the nation as students, faculty, and administrators 'protested the U. S. action in Cambodia.