Errors Prove Costly for Crimson As Tufts Clinches GBC Title, 9-5

By Robert W. Gerlach

Tufts capitalized on four Harvard errors in the first inning to jump to an early 6-2 lead and then added three more unearned tallies in the eighth to dump the Crimson 9-5 and clinch the Greater Boston League title.

Harvard, 17-7 for the season, is now 2-2 in the GBL with only two games remaining. Tufts, which has now won ten straight games, also has dropped two GBL contests. But the Jumbos and Boston College have played nine games in the league, and therefore they are assured a share of the championship.

Tufts' captain Rich Giachetti struck out 13 Crimson batters to protect the Jumbos' lead. Entering the game, Giachetti had a 1.90 ERA.

"You can't afford to make six errors and strike out 13 times if you hope to win a game," coach Loyal Park said yesterday. "The team played pretty well, but the combination of fielding mistakes and strong Tufts pitching was too much to overcome."

Harvard jumped to an early lead in the game when Vince McGugan led-off the first inning with a home run. The Crimson scored again in the top of the first, but the Jumbos wiped out that advantage in their first turn at the plate.

After two singles against Harvard starter Tom Kidwell, third baseman Mike Thomas booted a ground ball and loaded the bases. Another booted grounder and a throwing error gave Tufts the lead, and a misjudged fly ball in right field by Pete Bernhard led to a 6-2 Crimson deficit.

Harvard narrowed the Tufts' lead to 6-5 in the eighth inning, but two additional Crimson errors built Giachetti's winning margin.

On the bright side of the loss, lefthander J. C. Nickens shutout Tufts in an excellent six-inning relief performance.

Park said that the team had not discussed the effect of the student strike on the remaining baseball schedule. Park indicated that if the University decided to strike as a unit, the team would abide by that decision.