Students Work for Wider Strike By Picketing at Harvard Offices

By Jeremy S. Bluhm

Students calling for an end to normal business picketed classes, libraries, and administration offices at Harvard yesterday, as the University strike continued for its second full day.

At 10 a.m., the Strike Steering Committee visited Dean May's office and demanded that all students on strike receive passes in their courses and that all striking workers receive full pay.

The committee asked May to give his reply at a mass meeting of students scheduled to take place at noon today outside of University Hall.

Yesterday morning, about 50 Harvard and M.I.T. students leafleted at factories in the Boston area. About 100 people met in Emerson 305 yesterday afternoon to make further plans for leafleting.

About 750 students, from area colleges, met at M.I.T. last night to organize a Cambodia "teach-out" in the South End today. Students will canvass residents of the area, asking them to write to their Congressman, Rep. John McCormack (D-Mass.)

A group of Harvard students assembled at noon yesterday in front of Lowell Lecture Hall to picket a meeting of Economics 1. Before leaving, the group marched quickly through the hall, chanting "On Stricke, Shut It Down" to the 60 students attending the lecture.

Over 100 students marched up and down the Holyoke Center breezeway early yesterday afternoon, chanting "Strike, Strike, The War Hurts Us, The War Hurts You." At a strike rally in the Yard at 11 a.m. speakers had announced that secretaries would be returning to Harvard offices from lunch then.

University police prevented students from entering Holyoke Center during most of the picketing, but eventually several students were allowed to enter the building to speak with University employees.

Picket lines were in force in front of all of Harvard's libraries today, at the Aiken Computation Laboratory, and at the main Yard gate. Picketers prevented University mail truck from entering the Yard, causing some of today's mail to go undelivered. (See other story on this page).Kaplan said last night that the rally committee expected about 100,000.

Watson was not available last night for comment.

Such a check of the Stadium is apparently routine, Kaplan said, and is done every spring. Several sections considered unsafe were roped off last spring during the two Stadium meetings held during the strike.

It is unclear what will happen if the Stadium remains unavailable. One possible rally site, according to Kaplan, is the playing fields outside the Stadium.

"We have no clearance yet, and no real alternative plans," Kaplan said. Meanwhile, the Mayor's office- which has some members on the rally committee- has been printing up leaflets announcing that the rally will be in the Stadium. C.R.S.