Houses Closed to Summies This Year

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

Summer is different at Harvard, but this summer will be even more different. And the difference won't make everybody happy.

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life voted Wednesday to place Harvard students enrolled in Summer School here in the Union dormitories (Greenough, Hurlbut, and Pennypacker) instead of letting them stay in their suites as in the past.

Dean Dunlop said at a press conference on Friday there is a "fear of the Houses becoming a Lawrence Hall situation-I'm not sure that's the best phrase but I think it conveys what I mean."

A group called Free University took over Lawrence Hall last April. The building, slated for demolition, became a haven for "street people" until it burned down May 7.

Thomas E. Crooks, director of the Summer School, cited economy measures yesterday as the main reason for the policy change. He said, "I've always thought the Harvard Houses are a very wasteful business-the most expensive storage area in the world."

Of the 4444 summer school students last year, only one-third of them lived in Harvard housing, which will cost $15 per week this year. Of the almost 500 Harvard undergraduates enrolled last summer. only 10 or 15 signed up officially to live in each House, thusleaving about 309 Harvard students unaccounted for.

Crooks suggested that in the future, the summer school may impose regulations encouraging more students to live in and pay for Harvard housing.

In the past, it has been almost impossible for the University to check up on Harvard students who remained in their rooms without signing a room contract. This still may be the case for those students able to impersonate tutors. who will be unaffected by the new policy.

Crooks said that the large number of summer thefts was another factor in the decision to centralize housing.

A "Sumerthing" concert series will highlight the summer entertainment. The Boston Globe reported that Harvard has agreed to let Summerthing-a non-profit Boston summer program-use the Stadium for 16 concerts which will include The Band, the Four Seasons, Jose Feliciano. The Supremes and Janis Joplin.

Harvard's only condition for lending the Stadium was that Summerthing get at least ten per cent of the gross.