Rinehart, Where Are You? The Naughty-Noughts Return

By Garrett Epps

While members of younger classes cavorted and embraced in the lobby of the Harvard Club of Boston last night, the four classmates of 1900 sat in their seats, waiting patiently for the beginning of the cocktail hour.

The "naughty-noughts" are holding the first 70th Reunion in Harvard history. Arthur Drinkwater '00, the class secretary, was able to contact 10 of the 23 surviving members of the class, but only four showed up.

Those attending are Drinkwater, a former Boston lawyer, Philip P, Chase, former University Marshal, George H. Wilder, former New York stockbroker, and Frank W. Buxton, former publisher of the Boston Herald.

The classmates, who arrived in town yesterday, met for cocktails Tuesday night at the Brookline Country Club, followed by dinner at the home of Mrs. Fritz Tolbert, widow of a classmate who became a prominent Boston doctor.

"In those days, no baby could be properly born in Boston unless it was delivered by Fritz Tolbert." Drinkwater said.

Yesterday, the group ate lunch at the Society of Fellows room in Eliot House, and then watched a program of Charlie Chaplin movies.

And in between, the "Naughty Noughts" reminisced. "Do you remember Rinehart?" Drinkwater asked one present undergraduate. "No? Well, I'm surprised.

"John Rinehart was a very able fellow in our class, but he hadn't very many close friends. He lived in Weld, and sometimes people would come and stand beneath the windows and shout up for their friends: "Oh, Mayfield." or 'Oh, Smith!' But they never called for Rinehart.

"One day Rinehart felt lonely, so he went out beneath the window and called for himself: 'Oh, Rinehart!' It was a lovely evening in May, and some other fellows studying started-I don't know why-crying 'Oh, Rinehart.'

"And for many years, that was the cry. I know the students used it in 1960. You say they don't any more? Well, things do change."

After a while, the classmates rise to go to dinner, and threading their way warily between the spouting alumni behemoths of later classes, walked slowly, slowly up the great staircase to the dining room. Oh, Rinehart, Oh, Rinehart.