Radcliffe Gets First Senior Tutor, Admission Dean to Replace Smith

By Deborah B. Johnson

Mary I. Bunting, President of Radcliffe, last week announced four new appointments, including the first senior tutor at Radcliffe and an acting dean of Admissions.

Marvin F. Lazerson, assistant professor of Education, will be senior tutor of Currier House, which opens this Fall. "The job will be along the lines of a Harvard senior tuto-between a Radcliffe resident and a dean." Lazerson said yesterday. The other Radcliffe Houses have residents in each dormitory a non-resident Head (the equivalent of a House Master), and a non-resident dean.

Mrs. Bunting said yesterday that the responsibilities of the three present deans will not change. "I can't see us changing the title of anyone who's a House dean." she said.

Tutors and Heads

The senior tutor and the Head of Carrier House (Jerome S. Bruner, professor of Psychology) will both be residents. Three other couples and eight tutors will also live in the House complex, which will accommodate 315 students. Eighty to 90, of the students will be men. Lazerson said.

Harriet B. Belin, assistant director of Admissions, will become acting dean of Admissions on July 1, David K. Smith '58, the present dean of Admissions, is leaving Radcliffe to be on the staff of the Permanent Charities Fund of Boston, which is directed by Fred L. Glimp '50, former Dean of Harvard College.

Mrs. Belin has been on the staff of the Admissions Office for five years and will probably keep the post of acting dean for only one year. Mrs. Bunting said that she would like Mrs. Belin to be permanent dean, but that Mrs. Belin did not want to take the post. "I sort of twisted her arm to do this-she'll do awfully well," Mrs. Bunting said.

Both women stressed that there would be no changes in the admission policies. "I'll do my best to see that we'll have a terribly exciting class at

Radeliffe-as I think we've always done." Mrs. Belin said.

Edward L. Keenan, professor of History, and his wife will be Heads of North House. Although they will not live at North House next year, they will later move into a new Master's Residence which will be ready for occupancy by Fall, 1971.

Eight professors' residences and a Master's House will be built on Linnean St. across from North House next year. These improvements are part of the plan to improve the Radcliffe Quad.

Keenan is on Harvard's Committee on Admissions, on the Faculty Committee on Harvard-Radcliffe Relations (which is discussing merger), and on the President's Advisory Committee for Community Affairs.

Mrs. Bunting also appointed Susan S. Lyman as acting director of the Radcliffe College Fund, to replace Mrs. MacMillan Hanna who is resigning on July 1.