Final Club Liberated; Hostel To Open Soon

A stuffed moose over the mantlepiece will be coming down. Plush carpeting, paintings, and other elaborate furnishings will all be carted away. The lroquois, one of Harvard's elite final clubs, is being liberated by street people.

Beset by financial problems, the Iroquois is leasing its home at 74 Mt. Auburn St. to Sanctuary, an independent organization committed to helping street people. Funded by the Massachusetts Council of Churches and other organizations, Sanctuary will turn the previously exclusive club into a youth hostel for the summer months. The hostel will open as early as early as Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

The hostel will staff four full-time workers. They expect to house as many as fifty kids at a time. Each resident will be allowed to stay, free of charge, for up to three days. Two large rooms, one for men and one for women, are already being cleared out to provide sleeping facilities.

The hostel will be open through the entire summer, untli Labor Day. The Iroquois Club is expected to reopen next fall.

The youth hostel is the second major program initiated by Sanctuary this summer. Last Monday they opened a storofront on 9 Mt. Auburn St. which is staffed 24 hours a day and is equipped to give short-term counselling on a wide range of problems. Advice for medical, legal, food, employment, and clothing problems can be obtained by calling 492-2000