Two Cambridge Anti-War Groups Plan Active Summer Campaigns

Two Harvard student and faculty antiwar groups assembled during the National Student Strike this Spring plan to continue activities during the summer-and one will seek this Thursday night to involve Summer School students in the campaign.

Harvard Peace Action Strike (PAS)-a moderate student-faculty coalition founded by Everett I. Mendelsohn, professor of Music-has scheduled a meeting for 8 p.m. in Lowell Lecture Hall for students interested in working against the war this summer.

Howard Zinn, professor of Government at Boston University, will speak at the meeting. After the speech, students will be canvassed to work for a wide spectrum of anti-war causes, ranging from the congressional campaign of the Rev. Robert Drinan, S.J., to the Boston Panther Defense Committee.

PAS plans to serve as a clearing house during the summer to provide students with information about anti-war campaigns which need volunteer workers. The group will also sponsor a number of speakers and a weekly series of films related to the war.

Universities National Anti-War Fund (UNAF)-a nationwide group set up by Harvard and M.I.T. professors-will also work against the war during the summer. While PAS aims to supply the manpower, however, UNAF is designed to provide the money to fuel anti-war congressional and senatorial campaigns from Georgia to Wyoming.

The national campaign which kicked off UNAF included a plea for every college teacher dissatisfied with the war to donate one day's pay to be distributed by the group to anti-war candidates. The group-which includes among its directors Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, and John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics-has collected more than $70,000 so far, and has pledges for $20,000 more.

Candidates receiving UNAF assistance include Joseph P. Duffey, a Democrat seeking to wrest the Party's nomination from Sen. Thomas Dodd, George Rawlings, a Virginia Democrat seeking the seat now held by Sen. Harry F. Byrd Jr., and Andrew Young, a former aid to Martin Luther King, who is seeking the Democratic nomination to the House from Georgia's fifth district.