Boston, Harvard Are Both Adding Rules for Parking

By Thomas P. Southwick

A new traffic regulation adopted by the Boston Traffic and Parking Department will ban overnight parking of cars not registered in Boston beginning on October 1.

The new regulation stipulates that "no driver shall park or stand any vehicle for more than two hours between 12:01 a. m. and 6 a. m." on any street in the jurisdiction of the city. Exempted from the law are cars "registered and principally garaged" in Boston and bearing a sticker to prove it.

In announcing the new regulation on September 1, the Department explained that the purpose of the sticker system is "to permit Boston residents who have their cars principally registered in Boston a slightly better chance to find a parking place in congested areas."

Students Affected

It also means that thousands of out-of-state students at universities in Boston will no longer be permitted to park their cars on the street overnight. The regulation will affect students at the University of Massachusetts, Boston University, Boston College, the Harvard Medical School, and dozens of smaller institutions.

The Traffic and Parking Department indicated that the new regulation will be enforced primarily in student-populated areas through a system of "selective enforcement."

In addition, Harvard is instituting a paid parking plan-which affects University employees for the first time as well as Faculty and students-on October 1. The charges will range from $10 per year for permission to park in metered areas to $90 for reserved spaces. The University is hiring five "meter maids" to enforce the regulations.

Harvard's Building and Grounds Union-Local 877 of the International Union of Operating Engineers-has instructed its members to ignore the charges and not pay violators' tickets when they receive them. "If we all refuse to pay, we can lick 'em," a Harvard painter said last night.