Radical Events to Oppose Traditional H-R Welcome

By Bruce E. Johnson

While the Freshman Class of Harvard and Radcliffe attempts to settle down in the red-brick dormitories of the Yard and the Quad, it faces a barrage of tests, appointments and interviews, a bevy of cagier HSA salesmen, the first torments of homesickness and Union food, and, of course, Freshman Week.

This year, however, the Class of 1974 will be welcomed with both orientation and anti-orientation from various Harvard organizations.

Crimson Key, the traditional sponsor of the freshmen's first week of activities, will once again present the usual program of tours, picnics, dances, bull sessions, and tea with President Pusey.

Information

"We try to make available to freshmen some of the types of information you need to operate in a new environment," said Bradley P. Ware '71, president of the Crimson Key Society.

"This ranges from answering 'What is?' and 'Where is?' to dealing with considerable questions about courses to providing the freshmen with information about Harvard life," Ware added.

But many radicals, including some Key members, are dissatisfied with the range of the University-sponsored Crimson Key orientation.

"Agood deal of this orientation week is a brainwashing affair," said a member of the University Action Group (UAG), which consists of radical Harvard faculty, graduate students, and employees.

"It completely ignores the seamy side of the Harvard existence, never attempting to discuss the very significant struggles and issues which shut this University down last year," he added.

A Friday forum, which will be held at 7:30 p. m. in Emerson 105, will also discuss the relation of the automobile strike to the anti-war effort.

An SDS member said that the Radical Arts Troupe would also perform at registration and at the picnic. "We also hope to have several people-men and women-at the mixer to discuss the issues of chauvinism and women's liberation," he said.

Radical groups also plan to distribute leaflets in front of Sanders Theatre on Thursday night, to present an opposing viewpoint to President Pusey's speech and the usual range of freshman activities and tests.

Many Crimson Key members, however, are very satisfied with the range of the Crimson Key's orientation activities. "We hope that each Key member can provide an open discussion of Harvard's issues in his tours and proctorial sessions," Ware said.

The Crimson Key has already decided to reform the traditional Wednesday night mixer, which many upperclassmen remember with detached displeasure.

"To eliminate some of the objectionable aspects of mixers, we're holding the dance outdoors and providing free films and poster-painting materials in nearby buildings in hope that conversations and friendships will rise above the 'Where are you from?' level," Ware said.