Freshman Track, Northeastern To Meet at the Bubble Tonight

"The Northeastern freshman coach called me and said he was going to win the meet," said Harvard freshman track coach Pappy Hunt yesterday in the bubble. He gazed onto the track at the runners going by and continued, "I'm like that old Missouri farmer who says 'Show me!'"

Harvard and Northeastern will get a chance to show each other just what they can do tonight at 5:30 in the bubble.

Hunt looks to a tough meet. "Northeaster's got their best freshman team in history," he says. "It's going to be very close."

Well-Balanced

"We've got a well-balanced team," he continued, "although not as outstanding as last year's." He cited weaknesses in the high jump, hurdles, and pole vault.

"We're running into the usual rash of injuries that seem to face every team this time of year," he said. Among those not competing tonight are two members of the mile relay team. Kevin Dunn, a graduate of B.C. High, is out of action with an ear infection. Hunt considers Dunn a "mainstay" in the relay. Tom McElligott, another important man, won't be running because of a pulled muscle.

A third member of the relay team, Nick Leone, has a virus and may not be able to take part in the meet. Leone is an outstanding 600-yard runner with a best time of 1:12, as well as a member of the relay team. He was also the New England prep school champion in the 440.

Coach Hunt looks for a very strong performance from pole valuator Jim Kleiger. "I expect him to break the freshman pole vault record," he said. The current record of 14 feet 6 inches was set last year by Steve Skane.

In the 35-pound weight, Hunt looks for strong performances from Jay Hughes and Greg Sullivan. Both were top throwers in New England last year.

In the two-mile, Hunt looks for a strong 1-2 punch with Andy Campbell and Freddy Linsk. The coach considers Campbell "the find" of the cross country season, while Linsk was the find of Eric Segal, a former member of the Harvard track team. In the freshman meet against. Boston College, Linsk lapped all runners with the exception of one member of the B.C. team. Campbell did not run the two-mile in that meet.

Northeastern's squad will be running at practically full strength. Only two freshman, Dave Goldsmith and Steve Hogan, will be running for the varsity.