Strong Individual Events Highlight N.U. Track Meet

Some high-quality individual match-ups will highlight what should be a fairly close meet tonight as Harvard's varsity track squad takes on the Northeastern thinclads in the bubble.

The first event of the evening will pair two of the nation's top competitors in the 35-pound weight throw. N.U.'s Tom Sirois defeated Harvard's Ed Nosal in last year's IC4A's, but Nosal came back to take the event in the NC2A meet. "In terms of national level performance, this could be the biggest event of the season," said Crimson track coach Bill McCurdy.

The 600-yard run will also be an interesting event. One of Harvard's many sophomore standouts, Bob Clayton, will challenge N.U. senior Tom Wittenhagen. Clayton's performance this season has been inconsistent, but he has recorded better times than Wittenhagen's 1:13.6.

Elliott Returns

The return of injured Dave Elliott gives Harvard a slight edge in the 1000, although N.U. will have two strong entries. The Huskies' John Vercollone has recorded a 2:13.4.

The mile will be one of Harvard's strong events, paced by John Quirk and Tom Spengler, but N.U. has an unknown quantity in freshman Dave Goldsmith. Goldsmith's best time is 4:22, but because of track differences, the times aren't equitable, and he could run 4:15 or better tonight.

The second N.U. freshman entered in the varsity meet is sprinter Steve Hogan who will be matched against sophomore Baylee Reid. Both have run near 6.4 in the 60-yard dash.

Overall, the field events figure to be fairly close, with Harvard taking the lead in the weight, and the shot. N.U. expects to take 1-2 in the pole vault, with both men going over 14'. The high jump and broad jump could fall either way, with important meet points up for grabs.

Crimson broad-jumpers Walter Johnson and Kevin Benjamin have been in the 21'6" range, as have two N.U. athletes. The Huskies' Tom Murphy rates as the favorite in the high jump, but Ed Baskauskas and Bill Birhle have also both cleared 6'4".

A key event will be the hurdles, where N.U.'s Sweeney is given a good chance of breaking up Harvard's trio of Delray Maughan, Dewey Hickman, and Johnson.

The relays may both go to Northeastern, especially if the visitors show depth in the 1000-yard run. The Huskies' strength in the sprints should give them the mile relay.

This is the first Crimson track event since Harvard rolled over Boston College December 15, and according to McCurdy, "Some of our tigers are, at the best, well-rested." Although many tricksters didn't do much working out over vacation, almost everyone appears to be healthy.

Northeastern has gotten off to its worst start in recent years, due partially to a series of freak accidents. The Huskies have never beaten Harvard in five meetings, losing last year, 72-46.