Crimson Skiers Point To Carnival Circuit

By Robert Decherd

The Harvard skiing team, bolstered by the return of senior Jay O'Rear in the Alpine events, is gearing itself for the 1971 Carnival Circuit which begins February 12 at Dartmouth.

"The Alpine team has really been excelling in open competition so far this year." coach Bill McCollom said yesterday. "We're always lacking in depth, but we have a strong nucleus."

O'Rear, who missed all of last season with a back injury, established himself as the Crimson's top skier by finishing second in the Class A Giant Slalom in Sugarloaf, Maine earlier this month.

Early Comeback

"He's made a remarkable comeback," McCollom said. "He won all the time trials at our Woodstock training camp [in December] and now he's solidly our best man."

For the Carnival Circuit, O'Rear joins captain Alan Watson, junior Greg Murdock and sophomore Brot Coburn as the Crimson's top four. But McCollom will not be able to use his number two man, freshman Ben Steele, because Ivy League rules forbid participation by freshmen in varsity competition.

Steele, who began the season in Class B, moved up to Class A by finishing a strong third in the Pat Hardy Slalom at Waterville Valley. He was third again in the Giant Slalom at Sugarloaf and fourth in the slalom at Great George, N. J. over New Year's.

At Great Gorge, Steele outskied several prominent Class A skiers from the East, while members of the National Team took the first three places.

Steele again starred at Bromley by taking third in the combined standings for the Louis Orvis Trophy. In the same competition, O'Rear reinjured his back but McCollom expects him to be skiing again this weekend.

Watson Restricted

While O'Rear and Steele have improved throughout the winter, captain Watson has been restricted by commitments as coach of the junior program at Franconia, New Hampshire. However, he will compete at Pat's Peak, N. H. this weekend along with O'Rear and Steele.

The encouraging Alpine situation is somewhat offset by a question mark in the Nordic events. Nordic captain Chris Ferner, the team's only Class A Nordic competitor, has yet to jump this year and in McCollom's words, "just isn't fired up for it."

Class B jumper Jim Platz is back in school and jumping well, while his younger brother, Tom, is recovering from an operation and will return soon.

Cross-Country

In the cross-country events, junior John Boyle is the number one man. He combined with sophomore John Rikerk in the Three by Ten Kilometer Relay at Hanover last weekend, finishing 24th out of a field of 50.

"Certainly we're doing better than last year in the Nordic events," McCollom said. "We have to improve though, if we plan to do anything in the Carnivals."

"The Carnivals get all the publicity," he continued, "but I am just as satisfied if the guys excel in the individual open competitions."