Quick! Is It Breathing? Elect It.

By Michael E. Kinsley

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences kicked off 1971 yesterday by dispatching two readmissions, five committees, one new degree program and the Summer School, all in less than an hour and a half.

Following a ten-minute executive session in which the Faculty voted to readmit two students who had been dismissed, Dean Dunlop thanked Faculty members who had submitted to last-minute telephone pleas to help make up a quorum.

"If I've inconvenienced more than 131 people exactly so that the Faculty can function next semester, I apologize," Dunlop said.

Meat and Potatoes

Andrew J. Gleason, professor of Mathematics and chairman of the Docket Committee, then offered up the meat and potatoes of the meeting, which was a report by the Faculty Council Subcommittee on Election Procedures, proposing new methods for electing students to five other-Faculty committees.

When these five committees were created a year ago, and the original election procedures were announced, several Faculty gadflies commented that they couldn't imagine any procedures that were more complicated. But yesterday, the gadflies were keeping their thoughts to themselves.

The proposals were passed without discussion following explanatory remarks by Norman F. Ramsey, Higgins Professor of Physics and chairman of the subcommittee, and Dean May. Though no summary can really do them justice, here are the election procedures the Faculty approved yesterday.

Election Procedures

Student members of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities will be chosen in seven steps. First the chairman of the House Committee in each House will draw lots to pick an 11 member panel for each Harvard and Radcliffe House. (The Radcliffe panels must have at least five women, the Harvard panels at least five men.) The President of the Freshman Council will choose a panel of 15.

Each panel will meet and vote whether to make further selections by lot, ballot, or another method. Then they will proceed by the chosen method to pick zero, one or two of their num-ber (up to five for the freshmen) to participate in a larger lottery in which the Chairman or Vice Chairman of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life will pick four names at random-except that if any freshmen or Cliffies have been sent to the larger lottery there must be one of each among the four. These four will serve on the CRR.

Grad Schools

Meanwhile at the Graduate School, a similar process will take place involving panels of 15 students each from the Humanities, Social and Natural Sciences, culminating in up to two representatives for the CRR.

All in all, 17 panels involving 203 people will be required to fill the six student places on the CRR.

Ramsey told Faculty members this particular arrangement had been chosen to combine the random lotteries used for jury selection and more normal committee election patterns, to reflect the particular duties of members of the CRR.

Five student members for the Committee on Undergraduate Education will be chosen "by and from" a body of 30 undergraduates composed of two students from each House designated by the House Committees with the advice of the Housemaster, and four freshmen chosen by the Freshman Council with the advice of their dean, Steven R. Bowman '72, current CUE member, requested that the Faculty Council come up with a specific procedure for the 30-man committee to slice itself down to five.

Five student members of the Committee on Graduate Education will be chosen by the Dean of the Faculty, unless certain graduate school committees would prefer and election.

The Committee on Students and Community Relations will blossom from six to 15 student members (with 16 from the Faculty, making 31), to be elected one from each House, two Freshmen, and three from the GSAS.

Last but not least, the 11 students on the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life will be elected, one from each House and one freshman.

Quick Finale

Capitalizing on momentum, President Pusey then quickly led the Faculty through the remaining three items on the agenda:

They authorized Dean May and the CHUL to arrange coed living arrangements for the next school year;

they approved a two-year-equivalent Associate of Arts Degree in Extension Studies;

they approved the course proposals for the Harvard Summer School, after and amendment by George W. Goethals, lecturer on Social Relations, that the title of his course in the catalogue be corrected from "The Society of Knowledge" to "The Sociology of Knowledge." The amendment passed unanimously.

Docket Chairman Gleason announced during the meeting that to encourage Faculty members to read the docket before future meetings, copies would henceforth be available in the Faculty Club.