Three Convicted In Rent Trial; Kelly to Appeal

Three more members of the Cambridge Tenants Organizing Committee (CTOC) were convicted in Middlesex Third District Court yesterday on charges stemming from an attempt to block the eviction of William Cunning ham last December 11.

Barbara Kelley, a technician at the Massachusetts General Hospital. was convicted on counts of assault and battery on a policeman and rude and disorderly conduct. She was sentenced to two months in the House of Correction and fined $100. She is appealing the assault and battery charge.

Her conviction followed a closing statement? in which she said of the trial: "These experiences are teaching me and many others the futility of the much vaunted legal processes, since it is clear that they have been totally subverted by propertied interests,"

Also convicted on charges of rude and disorderly conduct were William Costly, public relations director of the Cambridge Model Cities program, and Elizabeth King, a sophomore at Boston University. Each received $100 fines.

The incident in question took place last December 11 at the Cunningham's home on 151 Putnam Avenue. Cunningham had been ordered evicted from his apartment for non-payment of rent. He had been sending his landlord, Herbert Brazzo, checks for only part of the rent Brazzo demanded, claiming that he was overcharged. The CTOC, of which Cunningham is member, had organized the demonstration.

Cunningham was convicted on January 8 on two counts of assault and battery. He received two concurrent six month suspended sentences, and one year's probation. Also convicted then was Nathaniel Stilman 68-3 on charges of assault and battery and being a disorderly person.

For the assault charge, he received a three month suspended sentence. six months probation and the option to clear his record. The disorderly person charge was placed on file.

Acquitted on the charges of being a disorderly person was Ronald Roberts, owner of the Earth Guild, a store under 151 Putnam Ave.

Settled out of court was the case of Elizabeth Herald, a Georgia student, who received a six-month suspended sentence on a disorderly person charge.