Yardlings Defeat Tufts Freshmen Using Restic's Wide-Open Offense

Using a new Canadian system of playing, freshman football successfully opened its season Friday with a victory over Tufts. The freshman, under coach Henry N. Lamar, are running the same wide-open offense used by coach Joe Restic's varsity.

"Getting used to a new system and learning to play together have been the most difficult tasks during the first few weeks of the season."

Two new assistants have been added to the freshman staff to assist Lamar. Helping with the defense will be Pat Conway '68, who distinguished himself as a defensive back as an undergraduate. Bobby Leo '67, will assist with the offense. Leo still holds the season and career record at Harvard for the highest rushing average.

The new wide-open style offense makes good use of two outstanding quarterbacks. Milt Holt and Doug Gordon. Lamar also has a good splitend and kicker in Pat McInally.

When asked what impressed him most about the team. Lamar said he was most impressed by the boys spirit.

The freshman will host Holy Cross at 2:30 p.m. this Friday behind the indoor track complex.

The Harvard freshmen showed that they could adapt to a new system by scoring a quick goal against Tufts in the first few minutes of action on Friday. As a result of their new defense. Harvard scored again, this time with a safety, giving Harvard a 9-0 edge.

Tufts managed to narrow the margin to one by scoring a goal and successfully completing a two point conversion. Near the end of the second quarter. Harvard scored again giving them a comfortable 16-8 lead at the half.

Harvard suffered timing problems because of the new system, resulting in dropped handoffs and unnecessary turnovers. Both teams marched into their opponents territory and scored, a quarter in which the offenses dominated.

Outstanding performances by split-end Pat McInally and quarterbacks Dong Gordon and Milt Holt gave the Crimson an advantage as they managed to score one more goal in the final minutes of the game. After the game. Lamar commented. "We did some things right and we did some things wrong. What we have to do is keep doing the things right." Freshman Football Fri. Oct. 8 Tufts  2:30 p.m. Fri. Oct. 15 Holy Cross  2:30 p.m. Fri. Oct. 22 Dartmouth  2:00 p.m. Sat. Nov. 6 Princeton  10:30 a.m. Fri. Nov. 12 Brown  2:00 p.m. Fri. Nov. 19 Yale  2:00 p.m.