POLICE SEEKING JUNK?

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The article entitled "Drugs at Harvard: Chaos and a Good High" in your pre-registration issue, contains the following paragraph.

"Harvard is not bad for the conventional reasons. Nobody ever gets busted here. That's really true. You can leave bricks of dope lying on the floor, you can hang tabs of acid out the window tied together with a bright orange string. You can walk down the street singing a song you made up with the words, 'oh woweee, I sure am stoned tonight,' and you won't even get stopped."

This somewhat rash statement might lead one to believe that Harvard is a safe haven for drug users, and that the police are not interested in disturbing them. Such is far from the case. During the past academic year, the Cambridge police made two drug arrests, one at Harvard and one at Radcliffe. And, at such time as they receive information of sufficient substance to enable them to obtain a search warrant, they will make other similar arrests.

At least until "1984", the police will not prowl the dorms seeking junk. But when they get good information that someone has a sizeable load of same, expect them to act and act promptly. Robert Tonis   Chief of University Police