Big Three Run Today: Harriers Are Favored

By E.j. Dionne

"Oh, the Big Three Meet is tomorrow," someone commented yesterday. "Isn't that the one Harvard wins every year?"

Indeed, the Harvard cross country team travels to Princeton today for the Princeton-Yale meet in hopes of winning its ninth Big Three crown in a row. The varsity race begins at 4 p.m.

"Princeton is the team to beat," coach Bill McCurdy said last week. "We figure we're better than Yale, but Yale does have a sophomore team, and sophomores sometimes catch fire all of a sudden in the middle of a season."

Princeton, Harvard and Yale have all met Penn, and they've all gotten clobbered. Harvard lost to Penn 15-47 while Yale and Princeton each lost 15-50. If a comparison of the Penn races means anything. Harvard should be the slight favorite: Harvard's first man against Penn placed eighth while the Tiger's number one man could only manage a tenth place finish.

Harvard may once again suffer from medical problems. John Quirk, who ran third against Dartmouth last Saturday, and fourth in the GBC's on Monday, is suffering from a rash which may hamper him tomorrow.

And sophomore Fred Linsk felt very wobbly in practice last Wednesday and couldn't finish the workout. McCurdy said he feared that Linsk may be suffering from a relapse of the virus which devastated the team a couple of weeks ago.

Princeton carries a 6-1 record into the meet while the Eli's stand at 2-4. Princeton's last outing was against Penn, while Yale lost to Cornell last Saturday 15-47.