Marinaro Breaks NCAA All-Time Rushing Mark

Cornell and Dartmouth Saturday eliminated their closest competition for the Ivy championship and prepared the stage for a single head-to-head collision in Hanover, N.H. between the two leaders on November 13.

Neither the Big Red nor Big Green had an easy time preserving its unblemished ord. Cornell edged Columbia in Ithaca last Saturday, 24-21, on John Killen's 37 yd. field goal with five minutes to play in the game. Dartmouth called upon Ted Perry with less than a minuet to go to rally and beat Yale, 17-15.

In other Ivy league clashes. Princeton and Harvard climbed out of the second division by topping the Ivy cellar dwellers. Princeton rolled to its second consecutive lopsided Ivy triumph. 49-21, over Brown, while Harvard nipped Penn 28-27.

At Cornell. Ed Marinaro ploughed his way to a new NCAA three-year career rushing record. The senior halfback rolled past Heisman Trophy winner Steve Owens' 1867 yd. record on his second carry of the day, and he continued to ramble on past the 4,000 yd. barrier.

At the final gun, Marinaro had 272 yds on 47 carries for a career total of 4,132 yds. Marinaro also scored on touchdown runs of four and 39 yards, and he carried the ball nine consecutive times for 45 yards to set up Killens' winning field goal.

Dartmouth's Perry came of the Big Green bench again Saturday to provide the margin of history for the Big Green's 15th consecutive triumph. Perry's field goals have now led Dartmouth to three straight narrow victories.

The afternoon's suspense was caused by Yale junior Dick Jauron, who ran for 145 yards, scored one touchdown, and completed a vital two-point conversion on a screen pas that sent Yale into the lead.

The game began as a dull defensive struggle, for Dartmouth's total offense in the first period was minus 1 yard while the Eli only ground out plus 4.

Princeton rested senior runner Hank Bjorklund, the school's leading ground gainer, against Brown, but sophomore Walt Snickenberger, starting his first varsity game, piled up 103 yards on 15 carries and scored two touchdowns before retiring early in the third period.

Senior fullback Dough Blake caught two touchdown passes and ran for a third to roll up a 21-0 lead in the first 11 minutes. Sophomore quarterback Joe Flynn has now led the Tigers to three straight lopsided victories since he replaced Rod Plummer in midseason.

SATURDAY'S IVY LEAGUE GAMES

Princeton at Harvard Dartmouth at Columbia Ivy Standings Cornell  4  o Dartmouth  4  0 Columbia  2  2 Harvard  2  2 Princeton  2  2 Penn  1  3 Yale  1  3 Brown  0  4