Harvard Tightens Up Security

Stephen S. J. Hall, vice president for Administration, announced yesterday the appointment of University Police Sergeant George Hill "to coordinate security efforts in both Harvard and Radcliffe on a full time basis."

At the same time, a spokesman for the Metropolitan District Commission (MDC) Police, which patrol the Charles River area, stated that 24-hour coverage has been assigned to the Weeks Memorial Bridge since the last mugging occurred there three weeks ago.

"Incidents of thefts, assaults and muggings" warranted the creation of Sergeant Hill's special position. Hall said yesterday.

Hill's duties will be to make people more aware of problems that exist and to evaluate data on the crime situation at Harvard, Hall said. He will also be meeting with committees from all the houses to discuss security problems and possible improvements. His findings will be reported to both Hall and Robert Tonis, chief of Harvard Police.

A rash of muggings has broken out at Harvard this academic year. Between September 6 and October 12, four students and one alumnus reported being beaten and robbed on the overpass near the new science center.

Blackjack

A Cambridge police spokesman said yesterday that a Harvard student taking pictures near the corner of Harvard and Prescott Streets was attacked Monday night by two assailants and beaten over the head with a blackjack. The assailants attempted to steal the student's camera and fled when the student started to scream for help. The assailants have not been apprehended.

Tonis said last week that although the crime rate is a somewhat higher due to the overpass incidents, it is not an alarming increase.

MDC authorities maintain that their security measures for the Weeks Bridge are primarily preventative and that the crime problem is not drastic.

Sergeant Donald Marshall of the MDC said yesterday that there have been "some assaults and robberies over the years" but the bridge has been "very quiet since the 24-hour a day coverage."