Harvard Faces Tiger for Third Place

Princeton Brings Balanced Attack

By Evan W. Thomas

In 1967, Princeton arrived in Cambridge as an underdog, and proceeded to murder Harvard, 45-6. Returning to the Stadium in 1969, the Tigers scored the first three times they had the ball, piled up 52 points, and so thoroughly demoralized Harvard that the Crimson went on to lose to a 0-7 Brown team a week later.

There are few survivors from those debacles. Ex-coach John Yovicsin is organizing volley ball tournaments in the basement of 60 Boylston Street, and the sophomore quarterback of the '69 team, Rex Blankenship, is playing House football this fall.

Rookie coach Joe Restic is scheming on the sidelines now, and a new sophomore quarterback, Jim Stoeckel, is moving Restic's offense. But despite Harvard's new cast, Princeton could do it all over again today. The Tigers' recent scoring exhibitions indicate that the Crimson may be in for a very long afternoon.

Restic described Princeton this week as "the best team in the Ivy League." After blowing their first three games, the Tigers have warmed-up for their latest appearance in Cambridge by rolling up 115 points against their last three opponents.

Princeton's strength lies in a new-found balanced offense. Early in the season, quarterback Rod Plummer passed well, but he offered up too many interceptions and fumbles. And when his passes were on target, they were often dropped. Princeton receivers dropped eleven passes against Cornell, enough to lose despite beating Cornell statistically.

However, Princeton discovered a more consistent quarterback in sophomore Jim Flynn, who has marched the Tigers up and down the field in the last three games. Flynn's passing is complemented by probably the best backfield in the Ivy League. Hank Bjorklun, a momentum runner who hits his holes quickly, is averaging 123 yards rushing a game, and if he slows down, the defense will have to contend with two more excellent running backs, Doug Blake and Walt Snickenberger. Blake and Snickenberger are particularly effective as receivers slipping out of the backfield.

In general, all of Princeton's receivers have learned how to catch the ball since their bumbling against Cornell. If Flynn is throwing at all well, they should have a field day against Harvard's secondary, which has thus far provided the worst pass coverage in the League.

Defensively, Princeton is going to give up rushing yardage reluctantly, but the defensive secondary can be beaten, especially on long pass plays. Restic said on Wednesday that he will be surprised if Harvard runs for 200 yards again. The Tigers often line up in an eight man line, as did the Dartmouth defense that squashed Harvard's running game.

As usual, Restic plans to unfold some new plays to fool the Tigers. Having broken straight dive plays for 70 yard touchdowns in recent games. Princeton hasn't needed much deception, but they, too, can be counted on to try a few surprises today. Bjorklund has already thrown one halfback option pass for a touchdown, and after watching the films of Harvard giving up a 76 yard halfback pass against Penn, he should be eager to throw the ball.

Injuries have hurt both teams. Princeton has lost seven players to knee injuries, and Harvard will probably be missing tight end Howie Keenan and tackle Monte Bowens. However, both injured offensive guards. Jerry Hevern and John Ferullo, will be back in the starting line-up. Fullback Steve Hall and end John Hagerty are both still suffering from injuries, but Hall should play, and Hagerty will start in place of Keenan.

Princeton has to be rated a favorite, and the afternoon could be disastrous if Flynn or Plummer exploits Harvard's weak defensive secondary. But Stoeckel has given the Harvard offense balance and consistency, and Restic's playbook is due to produce some long touchdowns. Weekend Schedule Crime vs. Daily Prince  9:30 a.m. Fr. Football vs. Princeton  10:30 a.m. Jr. Var. Football vs. Princeton  1:30 p.m. Var. Football vs. Princeton  1:30 p.m. Var. Soccer vs. Princeton  10:30 a.m. Fr. Soccer vs. Princeton  10:30 a.m.

Today's Schedule

Princeton at Harvard

Dartmouth at Columbia

Penn at Yale

Brown at Cornell Ivy Standings   W  L Cornell  4  0 Dartmouth  4  0 Columbia  2  2 Harvard  2  2 Princeton  2  2 Penn  1  3 Yale  1  3 Brown  0  4

Today's Schedule

Princeton at Harvard

Dartmouth at Columbia

Penn at Yale