Bob Woods' Psychological Conflict

Fullback Must Act Rugged, Cool, Aggressive

Opposing coaches may make snide comments about Harvard's largely foreign-made soccer team, but "it's more interesting to play on a team dominated by foreigners; you learn more," confides Harvard fullback Bob Woods.

Woods, from Dedham, is one of the few native Americans on the team. He played forward on the Nobles and Greenough team, a school boasting four alumni on the Harvard team that went to the San Jose championship two years ago, only to lose by a narrow 2-1 margin.

Woods's transition from a prep-school forward to University fullback has been accompanied by an aesthetic appreciation for the foreign players' abilities.

"There's not too much resentment about the number of foreign team members," he said, "but it is difficult being put back because of the fierce competition. It's all right though. You have guys who are on their countries' national teams, and it is most exciting to watch."

Woods has not yet achieved full confidence in his position as fullback. This lack of confidence stems from a psychological disparity between what his position demands, and the person he is.

Reflecting on this predicament, Woods analyzed, "As fullback you have to be aggressive, and cruel, and by temperament I am not a rugged, cool, aggressive fullback."

Putting aside his personal preferences, Woods has developed a philosophy to reconcile his two identities. "The essence of change," he said, "is to act as something, and then you become it. On the field I am living up to a role, concentrating as much as possible into working as fullback."

Philosopher Athlete

Questioned on the rarity of the philosophical athlete, Woods exploded, "These guys are not just recruited. Sharp people make up the team and that makes it interesting. Guys like playing soccer, at the same time they do have other interests. Felix (Adedeji), a high scorer, is also pre-med."

An English major himself, Woods emphasizes the importance of variety in college life. Teaching piano, acting, and soccer are his non-academic activities. "I am not your basic jock, a guy that lives and dies for the sport, yet I like soccer a lot," Woods said.

On the interaction between the players, Woods comments "Each individual looks to express himself with the team. Phil Kydes is magnificent as an individual player, but he puts in a great team effort."

Bravado forms the essence of the spirit of Harvard's soccer team, and "this bravado is dangerous" Woods admits, "but gorgeous. Individual bravado infiltrates the ranks and turns into team bravado. Functioning as a team is a very good experience. We are a group of good friends, and we have had some beautiful moments that have never been equalled in soccer."

One such moment took place in the game against Tufts this year. In complete control of the ball, Harvard players taunted their opponents by playing with the ball and made 12 passes before scoring. Exults Woods, "You have the exquisite fun among friends, passing and then getting the goal."

Pressure

Pressure from his position--since a fullback cannot rely on anyone besides the goalie to stop the goal--is mitigated by the encouragement Woods receives from his teammates, particularly center-half Chris Wilmot and goalie Shep Messing.

"Wilmot encourages me" Woods said. "He keeps me going; he is the minister of defense. Messing is a great guy; he is the key to my performance. He keeps saying 'all right Rob' or 'tighten up there'. Wilmot helps by just being there, but the best relationship is having Shep behind me."

Philosophy too plays its role in relieving the pressure. "In actual performance, I find myself making a mistake and acting as though its the normal procedure. I just bounce back, instead of getting angry," Woods said. "They are hoping I will do the right thing when the ball comes to wing, and I fight like hell."

Proving It

In the Hartwick game, Woods recalled, "We knew we were better; we came back in a huddle, and said, 'we are going to prove it,' and returned to score within four minutes (of the third period)."

"I cannot wait to hit Miami" he said, "The scenario for San Jose was to see those guys looking like an army, ties, short hair; and then we came in, a bunch of individuals."

Psyche, Woods believes, will be an important factor in the Miami game against Howard University. "We will win if we measure up to the feeling that we are the best. We have got to have that vision. If we get our bravado up, we will win," he said.

Artful Experience

Descrlbing soccer in general, Woods said "A lot of guys would call it an artful experience."