Stickmen Rout Penn in Ivy Opener; Goodenow Tallies First Hat Trick

By M. DEACON Dake

After striking for three goals in the first four minutes only to see the margin vanish in the next three. Harvard's hockey team exploded for eight goals without a reply to smash Penn 11-3, in the Ivy League opener for both squads.

Playing before a record crowd of 2812 in the Quaker's Class of '23 rink, the Crimson extended its current victory streak over Penn to four. The "local line" of Dave Hynes. Bob McManama and Bill Corkery netted Harvard's first three goals, with each player scoring in the trio's second shift on the ice.

Much to the crowd's delight, the Quakers pecked away at Harvard's lead until a goal at 7:35 by Penn's second line center. Bernard LeFrancois, Knotted the score. The two earlier scores that helped the Penn rally were pumped in by first line center and co-captain. Bob Read, and Bud Daigle, the Quakers third line center.

Two minutes late Harvard surged into the lead for good, as senior Leif Rosenberger drilled a low shot into the left corner. Sophomore Bob Goodenow and Bobby Muse quickly followed with goals to give the Crimson a 6-3 lead after one period.

In the second period. Goodenow, who teams on a line with Tom Paul and Jay Riley, netted two more scores for his first varsity hat trick. A tip-in by Hynes off a shot by Muse rounded out the scoring in the middle period.

In the final period, which was marred by 14 penalties, the Crimson rifled in its final two goals on power play shots by Dave Cavanagh and Paul.

Harvard goalie Joe Bertagna, playing his first hockey since being hit in the eye before the St. Nick's exhibition four days earlier, was excellent in the nets, as he stopped 25 Quaker shots.