Teaching Fellows Receive Delayed Salary Increase

A four-month delay in pay increases for all teaching fellows will end next payday. Daniel P. Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday.

The $150-raise, slated to take effect in September, was suspended under the guidelines of President Nixon's wage-price freeze even though certain teaching fellows had been hired at the higher salary prior to the August 15 announcement of the freeze. Teaching fellows appointed after that date were paid at last year's rate.

Although the economic measure ended on November 15, November paychecks did not reflect the increase because checks were processed earlier than usual in anticipation of the Thanksgiving recess. December paychecks will reflect the higher salary for both months, Steiner said.

Edward J. Powers, assistant director of personnel, said paychecks, normally issued at the end of the month would be in the mall "before Christmas."

Procedures for issuing retroactive wages to those teaching fellows appointed at the higher wage are still under consideration, Steiner said. If Congress does not pass back-pay legislation, the 'University plans to appeal to the Pay Board for new guidelines on retroactivity. Steiner said professors' salaries took effect July 1, and therefore were not affected by the freeze regulations.

Some teaching fellows collected one paycheck at the higher rate before the August freeze. Most however did not collect their salary until September when the wage freeze had already gone into effect.