Butler's Shut Door Policy Thwarts McNeil Protesters

By J. ANTHONY Day

While thousands marched in Boston yesterday afternoon to protest escalation of the Indochina war, about 50 students led by members of SDS held their own mini-demonstration in support of black electrician's apprentice Charles McNeil.

The demonstration began with a circular march in 20-degree cold outside Holyoke Center but moved to University Hall after protesters found themselves barred from the Personnel Office.

Administration officials successfully avoided a confrontation with the demonstrators by locking strategic doors in both Holyoke Center and University Hall. Students attempting to reach the sixth floor office of the Personnel Office in Holyoke Center were surprised when their elevator shot directly to the tenth floor.

The students then marched to University Hall where they attempted to engage Deans Epps and May in the confrontation. Epps was unavailable and May's office door was locked so the students departed for a "discussion period."

Personnel director John B. Butler had earlier issued a statement disclosing that the Personnel office would "not be available for a 'confrontation' designed to disturb normal business."

The statement also reaffirmed the office's position that McNeil is not qualified for a promotion and 20-cent raise, saying that "The evidence showed that Mr. McNeil's 1969 experience was not the equivalent of one year's apprenticeship."

McNeil and SDS have repeatedly argued that McNeil has in fact worked the required amount of time necessary for promotion. Their viewpoint is backed up by Bernard O'Brien, a coworker of McNeil's who has stated several times that McNeil is eligible for the raise.