Princeton Favored Today In Bout With Wrestlers

By Bradford B. Kopp

The Ivy League wrestling title will be decided when Harvard and Princeton meet at 3 p.m. today on the main gym floor in the IAB.

Both teams are undefeated in the Ivy League. Harvard is 12-4 on the season and Princeton is 10-3. The match today will be close, but if anyone is given the edge it has to be the Tigers.

Princeton won the League last year, overwhelming the Crimson, 25-8, and has won by more impressive scores than Harvard this year.

The Tigers have excellent lower weights and better than average heavyweights. so if the Crimson is going to win this afternoon it must completely dominate the middle classes and gain some upset victories over some of the Princeton favorites.

Along with Yale, Princeton and Harvard are dominating a weak Ivy League. However, both Harvard and Princeton are clear favorites over Yale in matches later this month.

"Yale has nothing in the first or last two weight classes, so they start with almost a 20-0 disadvantage." Harvard coach John Lee said.

All indications point to Mark Faller's return to the Harvard lineup today at 177 pounds. Faller, a finalist in the Easterns last year, is coming off a shoulder injury.

Princeton is guaranteed a win at 118 and is favored at 126, where Steve Garner will wrestle the Crimson's Jerry Kahrilas. Garner has already beaten the two top finishers in last year's Easterns.

Uyeda

The Tigers' Al Uyeda (134) is favored over Josh Henson. Uyeda has finished second and third in the last two Easterns, but Henson. 11-4-1 this year, has a chance a? an upset.

At 142 captain Pat Coleman has got to win for Harvard, and he is favored to start a Crimson resurgence at this point. Dean Shepard (150) should win his match, and either Colin Mangrum or Mike Slutzker will go at 158, where Princeton has its biggest weak spot. Harvard should win in the 167 and 177-pound classes.

Emil DeLiere at 190 for Princeton is 8-1 and is favored over Dave Seanlon. The Tigers also have an excellent heavyweight, Charles Dressel. The Crimson's Tom Tripp tied him in his freshman year, lost, 8-7 his sophomore year, and took last year off.