Freedom Sioris

By Michael Ryan

FREEDOM is a central concept in Greek literature. from the very beginning. Centuries before the birth of democracy, Homer has Odysseus tell us that "Zeus takes away half a man's manhood that day he makes him a slave." Athens warred for decades to preserve its most sacred possession- elcutheria -freedom. For two millennia, Greek freedom has served as a paradigm for western nations. Certainly, the view of freedom in the Athens of the Golden Age is highly romanticized-for many were, in fact, still slaves-but it was in Athens that large-scale political freedom first existed. Therefore, it is particularly cruel that Greece should now be the plaything of tyrants.

The Greek junta has gained enough notoriety in this country that any lengthy recounting of its atrocities-especially by an American who has never been to Greece and knows nothing of its culture after the first century-would be ludicrous. America has supported the dictatorship, with recognition and money. To strengthen its friendship with the colonels, the State Department has lately been host to the junta's Minister of Education, Nikitas Sioris. As part of his tour, the Department arranged for Sioris to be shown the educational resources at Harvard, as an official guest of the University.

Harvard's reaction to Sioris is a gross outrage to the thousands of Greek people who have fought and died for their freedom from the right-wing tyranny. The University Marshal's office arranged his visit. showing him all the courtesies which would be given any foreign dignitary. Administrators at the Education and Business Schools offered to act as hosts to Sioris, and even bring him to lunch at the Faculty Club.

To members of the University acquainted with the Greek regime, Harvard's willingness to entertain Sioris came as a bitter shock. The Francis Jones Professor of Greek Literature, Cedric H. Whitman, summed up the general feeling about Sioris: "He poses as an opponent of the regime, but it's impossible and ridiculous because he would not be in such a high post if he had something against them. He's a real minion of the colonels, and a hypocritical one."

As Minister of Education, Sioris has presided over the dissolution of a fine educational system. While it is true that he has made college financially accessible to a great number of people, he has destroyed the incentive to go on to college by consenting to a reduction in the number of years students must attend school from nine to six. Classes in public schools are now conducted in Katherevousa, the literary dialect, which is normally not used in ordinary speech. While the use of Katherevousa may elevate the conversational level of some Greeks, for many, particularly the poor, it represents an immense obstacle to learning. In short, Sioris, as Minister of Education, has set out to destroy education for the common people of Greece, and is succeeding.

WHY Harvard ultimately chose to accept Sioris' visit is not known. More confusing is the lack of reaction in the community as a whole. Most of the people who passed the lines of pickets outside Widener on Wednesday showed no interest in what was going on. The few who did seemed to be of a mind with the well-known and very conservative history professor who greeted with a silent scowl a picketer who attempted to explain her position to him, or the retired classicist who lectured the group on the "tragic mistake" they were making. The pickets succeeded, in the end, for Sioris cancelled his visit to Widener, and to the Faculty Club. But they have not received assurance, and assurance must be given, that Harvard will never repeat this insult to freedom.