Stickmen Rout Hapless Elis, 11-4

By Evan W. Thomas

It was middle-aged prep night at the shrine of Boston High School hockey, the Arena, and as the faithful alumni ruined their pin-striped behinds on the bubble-gum parked by generations of Southie and Eastie fans, Harvard slaughtered Yale in a predictable mismatch, 11-4.

As usual, Joe Cavanagh led the parade, welcoming the chance to widen his lead on the East's top scorers with a field day at the expense of another Ivy League pushover. In all, Cavanagh piled up five points on a goal and four assists, while his heir apparent, sophomore Dave Hynes, equaled the first line center with five points on two goals and three assists.

Hat Trick

Dan DeMichele continued to add to his team-leading goal total with a hat trick, set up by perfect passes from his linemates, and the three other members of the first two lines. Cooch Owen, Bob McManama, and Billy Corkery all registered three points for the evening.

The game did not begin as lopsidedly as it ended up. Harvard held a surprisingly small 2-1 edge at the end of the first period, although the Crimson did take 17 shots at the Eli net. Yale shocked the fans with the tying goal early in the second period, and visions of another Brown game crept into the thoughts of the press box contingent.

Yale immediately threw away whatever far-fetched hopes it had for an upset, however, as the Crimson unwound with four goals in less than three minutes. By the time the buzzer mercifully ended the period for Yale goalie Bill Fitzsimmons, he had faced a 23-shot barrage and seen the red light blink over his head five times.

Harvard added four more goals in the third period, but the Elis made a stab at respectability and put in two of their own as well. Harvard's defense, perhaps having trouble coping with the Arena's impossible boards, did not exactly play a stellar game, letting in four goals for the second game in a row against a miserable team.