Squash Team Beats Yale

By Robert W. Gerlach

In what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Harvard's varsity squash team Saturday completed one of its finest seasons ever with a 9-0 win over Yale.

The Crimson's victory, its tenth straight this season, gave the team several honors:

its second consecutive undefeated season, stretching its unbeaten streak to 21 matches;

its second consecutive Ivy League title and its ninth in ten years;

and its fourth consecutive intercollegiate team title and its ninth in ten years.

No individual match Saturday was even close, and no Harvard player was forced into five games.

At number one, sophomore Peter Briggs and Yale's Graham Arader played one of the finest matches this year on the Hemenway Courts. Both Briggs and Anader played well and points were consistently won on excellent placements rather than poor returns.

The closest match of the one-sided meet took place at number two between Dave Fish and Bob Stevens. Returning to Yale after three years in the army. Stevens had several incredible nicks in the opening game and was up 7-0 at one point. Fish won eight of the next nine points and went to 11-12 before he just tipped the tin twice to lose the first game.

In the third game, Fish took the first seven points and led, 13-9, but then he let up and lost the next five points. Tied at 14-14 in a no-set match, Stevens, in a gentlemanly move, admitted he carried the ball on a backhand return and lost the game. Fish easily won the fourth game.

Captain Ed Atwood finished his varsity career with one of his best matches. Atwood's opponent. Yale captain Jay Bryan. started the season at number one and is a strong player, but Atwood ran him all over the court for an easy, 15-13, 15-1, 15-7 win.

Five Crimson players, Fish. Alan Quasha. Dan Gordon. Andy Wiegand, and Lowell Pratt. finished the season undefeated.