Cahalan Breaks Harvard Record

By Bennett H. Beach

Captain Mike Cahalan set a pool and Harvard record last night with a 21.4 clocking in the 50-free, and the Crimson was in eighth place after the first day of competition in the Eastern Seaboard Championships at Penn. The old mark was 21.6.

Princeton, whose divers took three of the top four places in the one-meter event, was first with 133 points, followed by Penn, Dartmouth, and Yale, in that order.

Mechanical problems and an elusive judge may have cost Cahalan valuable points, however, as he sought to regain the title he earned in his sophomore year.

The automatic timers had broken, and Cahalan was one of the three clocked in 21.4. But he was picked fourth by one judge, and since the other had disappeared, was given credit for two fourths. Cahalan was finally listed in a third-place tie with Dartmouth's Chris Carstensen, who did a 21.6.

In the 400-yeard medley relay, Harvard's surprisingly strong group finished eighth in 3:38.31, slightly slower than its time last weekend against Yale. The four Crimson swimmers were Dan Kobick, Pete Mikhalevsky, Cahalan, and Paul Horvitz.

The Crimson's other points came in the 200-yard individual medley when Tim Chetin finished tenth in 2:01.49, and in the 50-free, in which Horvitz was ninth with a 21.9.

Harvard had hoped to score well in the 500-free, but Steve Krause did not arrive until late Thursday night because of some commitments yesterday in Cambridge. Dave Powlison decided to swim the 50-free instead, and Greg Huff got no points for his 5:20.0. The winner was Penn's Rusty Varley in 4:33.71.

Krause, Mikhalevsky, and Kobick are the most likely ones to score for Harvard today. Krause will be in both the 200-fly and the 400-IM, while Mikhalevsky will swim the 100-breast and Kobick the 100-back. Powlison may place in the 200-free.

Despite the dissension on the team resulting from Cahalan's decision to leave Henry Wa?son and Al. Ackermann in Cambridge, spirits seemed to be high yesterday. "Everybody's having a good time," manager Glenn Koocher said.

The three-day meet is being taped for viewing on educational television, and Koocher an official timer in lane six, told excitedly about walking in front of the camera several times.