Bruner to Leave Faculty, Accepts Chair at Oxford

Jerome Bruner, professor of Psychology and Master of Currier House, announced last week that he is leaving Harvard in June, 1972 to accept the newly-established Watts professorship in psychology at Oxford University.

An expert in the cognitive development of infants and children, Bruner has studied teaching in the primary grades and perception and learning in children.

He is the author of the Process of Education, an examination of educational theory, and Studies in Cognitive Growth, an account of research in developmental psychology.

Bruner plans to resign his Mastership this June. An ad hoc committee has been formed at Currier House to recommend guidelines for the selection of a new Master.

Search Committee

"We don't know exactly what we can or cannot do," Donna Pounds '74, a member of the committee, said. The committee, which is composed of volunteers, will meet with Radcliffe President Mary I. Bunting Friday to discuss its functions, Pounds added.

Bruner endorsed student involvement in the appointment of his successor. "I think this is an important time to question and define the role of Master, and, in fact, of the House itself; and I think student participation in these considerations is very important," he said.

Bruner explained that he is leaving to gain new opportunities for research. "You know I've been here since 1939, and I realized I was probably in need of new perspectives. Also, I've been very much involved in University affairs here, and I would welcome a chance to concentrate more on my work," he said.

Bruner graduated from Duke University in 1937 and received his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1941. He has been a full professor since 1952.