Swimmers Come in Ninth As Chetin Leads Crimson

By Bennett H. Beach

Sophomore Tom Chetin capped a strong three-day performance Saturday at the Eastern Seaboard Championships at Penn with a fourth in the 200-breast in 2:15.2 as Harvard ended up ninth overall.

Penn barely edged Princeton for the team title, with Yale third, and Dartmouth fourth. The only League team which Harvard beat was Cornell.

Chetin's fourth place came after a tenth in the 200-IM (2:01.48) Thursday and a third in the 400-IM (4:22.5) Friday. His times in the 200-yard events were both less than a second off the Harvard records.

Captain Mike Cahalan was the other Crimson standout, picking up an eighth (47.82) in the 100-free and anchoring the 400-free relay team to a fifth in Saturday's events. Two days earlier he had set a Harvard record of 21.4 in the 50-free while finishing third. The other relay men were Dave Powlison, Bob Lawton, and Paul Horvitz.

Harvard's chances of doing better than ninth were minimal because of an illness which struck Steve Krause, the team's best all-around performer. He didn't arrive until after Thursday's competition, and when he failed to qualify in both his events Friday, he decided that he was too sick to stay. Krause left Saturday morning.

The Crimson's other points on the final day came from Dan Kobick, who was tenth in the 200-back with a time of 2:03.2.

It was the last meet for Harvard's retiring coach Bill Brooks, a coach here for 25 years.