Deans, SJP Plan Action On Teach-In University Considers Possible CRR Actions

By David R. Caploe

Both the H-R Students for a Just Peace and the Harvard Administration are in the process of initiating disciplinary action with the CRR against disrupters of Friday night's teach-in.

The Faculty Council met last night in an emergency meeting called by Dean Dunlop. Dunlop said after the meeting that the purpose of the meeting was "to discuss what can be done in this community to underscore the centrality of freedom of speech in maintaining an academic community."

Dunlop said that the question of discipline had been touched upon "only in the most general way." and that nothing would be done until "the evidence has been examined." The council will meet again today at 5 p.m.

Laszlo Pasztor 73, chairman of the teach-in group, said last night that individuals from his group would press charges with the CRR "as soon as possible."

Pasztor said that members of Students for a just Peace were compiling identifications of Harvard students from personal witnesses and were waiting for photographs taken on Friday night to be developed.

All Our Evidence'

"Hopefully, we will be ready with all our evidence by the end of this week," Pasztor said. He also said that he was trying to obtain a film which "one of the news people" had shot at the teach-in to make further identifications possible.

Dean Epps said before last night's faculty council meeting that the Administration had not yet met to specifically discuss punishment. He said that any investigations that took place would be a group effort which would have to be convened by Archibald Cox'34, troubleshooter for the University.

Cox said last night after the meeting that no announcement of University disciplinary procedure would be made until the start of the actual proceedings themselves.

Epps said that since nothing had yet been done specifically relating to punishment by the University, he doubted whether any charges that the University might make would be ready before Spring vacation.

Donald G. Anderson, chairman of the CRR, said last night that he had not yet heard from any parties concerning the disrupted teach-in.

Anderson, professor of Mathematics, said-since letters for CRR hearings are usually sent a week after charges are filed "if there is reason to go ahead"-that letters relating to the teach-in would probably not be sent until the very end of spring vacation at the earliest if the charges were pressed by the end of the week.

Cut Wires

Epps also discounted a rumor that the teach-in had been cancelled because the wires to the microphones had been cut. "Somebody came up to me after the meeting had been cancelled and said that the wires had been cut in back," Epps said.

"To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Cox found out about the wires being cut long after the teach-in was over," Epps added.

Pasztor also denied that the cut wires had influenced cancellation in any way, saying, "It did not have anything to do with the cancellation. I don't even think they knew the cords were cut until much later."

Both Epps and Pasztor emphasized that any disciplinary actions sought by the University and the Students for a Just Peace were completely independent of each other.