Depth, Hitting Strength Give Nine a Shot at League Title

By Robert W. Gerlach

Three years ago Harvard had a freshman team that stole attention from a varsity squad that won the Eeastern League and advanced to the Omaha World Series. That Yardling squad, the first undefeated team since 1900, averaged over ten runs per game and provided five starters for the next varsity.

Optimistic fans were disappointed two years ago when Harvard blasted its opposition in almost every game but finished a distant third in the Eastern League because of poor pitching depth. But there was new hope for the freshman team, while losing only one game, had outslugged their predecessors and averaged nearly 12 runs per game.

Last season had to be one of the most frustrating in the history of Harvard baseball. The Crimson started the season winning its first ten games and hitting over 333 as a team. Harvard ended the year taking 10 of its last 12 games and shutting out the opposition for 26 consecutive innings.

Title Vanishes

Yet the Crimson lost the Eastern League title to Dartmouth because of a ninth inning rally by the Indians, and the Greater Boston League title disappeared after an error-filled afternoon at Tufts.

This is the senior season for that record-setting Yardling team, and if coach Loyal Park's pitching staff develops as he hopes it will, the Crimson may finally reach its projected peak. "We have the best hitting team I've ever had," Park said. "How far we go depends on our pitching coming around."

[Tomorrow's CRIMSON article will preview the mound staff.]

One big advantage this spring is that Park has the depth at every position to avoid shuffling players around the field. Last year Pete Varney played right field, first, and catcher but now "we have developed a program that allows us to give the players the security of a single position," Park said.

Park has his entire infield returning intact this spring. Behind the plate is co-captain Varney who has been drafted every year in the pro-baseball draft and is presently the number one selection of the Atlanta Braves.

What More?

"Pete is big, strong, and fast," Park said. "What more can you ask for?" Varney hit 377 as a sophomore and 384 as a junior.

At first base, Park can rely on co-captain Pete Bernhard. Although not the leading hitter on the team. Bernhard is an outstanding fielder. Park said. "He's the most consistent player on the team."

Junior Vince McGugan will return at second base. Park has called him the best in the Eastern League at his position because of his speed. Starting at shortstop is Art Serrano. "He's improved the most of anyone, so that now we have a real honey of a double-play combination."

Junior Mike Thomas and sophomore Hal Smith are battling for the third base job. Thomas hit over 300 as a sophomore and has a good arm, but Park called Smith the toughest competitor of the squad. "Hal was one of those super-sophomore basketball stars, so he got a late start in practice," Park said.

Reserve outfielder Dave Ignacio will step into the starting left field slot this spring. Ignacio had a strong season as a pinch hitter last year and has several innings of varsity experience.

In right field will be last year's leading hitter, Dan DeMichele. As a junior DeMichele won the Eastern League batting title with a 433 average.

Three candidates are trying to replace Neil Hurley in center field. Park said that both Curt Tucker and Kevin Hampe have the speed to cover the field while Toby Harvey has been impressive in batting practice in the cage.

It will be hard to pitch around any batter in the Crimson line-up this spring. McGugan will lead off "because he makes things happen." Park said. Following McGugan will be either Hampe or Tucker, both of whom have the speed to bunt or break up a double play.

At three through six Harvard will have four hitters, Bernhard, DeMichele, Varney, and Ignacio, who have the power to reach the outfield fence.