City Council Meets As Usual

By Joyce Heard

The Cambridge City Council made no report last night on its investigation into the failure of the Board of Zoning Appeals to give a zoning waiver to Printed Matter Inc., an unroofed newsstand at 1210 Mass. Ave.

According to Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci, Richard Skinner, manager of the stand, has decided to close it and there is no longer any reason to continue the investigation.

Skinner had earlier charged that "certain people" wanted to see him go out of business and that he was being harassed by city inspectors and the Zoning Board.

Skinner's first appeal before the Zoning Board was put off to a later date. Following his appearance at City Council two weeks ago, the Council sent a letter to the zoning board endorsing his request for a zoning variance to erect bookstands.

In other action last night the Council voted 6-3 to accept a $67,000 federal grant to fund a methadone drug rehabilitation program which is alreadyin partial operation at Cambridge City Hospital.

Dr. Edward Khantzian, head of the program, expressed pleasure at acceptance of the funding, which the Council had earlier voted down.

Councillor Edward A. Crane urged the Council to vote "cautiously" on the issue and said, "There is danger that we might create a mecca for drug addicts in this city."

At present there are 20 people, all Cambridge residents, enrolled in the program.