Dodging the Problem

By Hugh Mackay

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The editorial "Friday Night" in the issue of March 29 is one of the most greasy arguments I have seen put forth in your newspaper. While you have managed to acknowledge that the disruption was improper, it is evident that the main effort of the essay was to deflect attention from the immediate issues of free speech and violent repression, issues seen in the actual experience we have to undergo here in Cambridge, to unproved assertions regarding the war. What I take to be an oblique excuse of the disruption Friday,"...so must some uses of speech be prevented for the same reasons" (read the whole paragraph again to be certain), provides a weak transition to other, larger matters with which you obviously feel more at case. The haughty pose does not successfully cover the attempt to blame the University Administration and The War for what you and I are in fact immediately responsible for.

I hope that the difficulty you have had in making the facts square with prior conclusion is some evidence that conscience will somewhere meet a sense of reason, and that in the future you will try to solve problems rather than dodge them.