Golfers Hope for Win

The Harvard golfers, hoping to notch their first victory of the season, will face Penn and Columbia in a triangular meet this afternoon at the Plymouth Country Club in Norristown, Pa.

"We'll be wanting this first win badly. It is especially important for us to gain some confidence for the remainder of the schedule," captain Fred Sherman said.

It will take quite a performance to restore all of the confidence lost in Saturday's 432-stroke fiasco against Navy at Annapolis. "That Navy match was a nightmare, but I think it was a fluke. We were tight and the wind just threw us off," junior Skip Kistner said.

In the Game

How well the Crimson has developed since the Navy match will be tested today by competition. "Penn was pretty good last year and gave us one of our three losses. So they should be pretty tough. Columbia is usually lousy, even when they're playing on their home course." Kistner said.

The Crimson will have added difficulties today because Cooch Owen, who laid out of the Navy contest while manager Glenn Gessay played in his place, is still recuperating in Florida from old hockey wounds. His absence has left the team scurrying for a seventh man.

This week's nippy, but sunny weather allowed the golfers to get some vital practice time. "I think all seven of our guys are coming around, but it takes time," Kistner said. "Guys are still shooting 71 one day and 86 the next."

The question of consistency will be central to the Crimson hopes for a decent season, especially considering this year's shift from match to medal play. Harvard must quickly find at least five players-since the top five of seven scores are added up to get the team total-who can shoot well almost every day. Otherwise the squad will be relying on "a hot day" each time out.