Bruce Munro will return as varsity soccer coach next fall, but a new assistant varsity coach may be appointed.
Robert B. Watson, Director of Athletics, yesterday told six junior soccer players that the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports had concurred unanimously with his decision to retain Munro as head coach.
Watson also discussed with the group-headed by captain Charlie Thomas-possibility of appointing an assistant coach. "The position expressed by Watson is very satisfactory," Thomas said, "Now I must meet with the team as a whole. I am planning on suggesting that we all come out next fall and give Munro a chance."
At least two players have indicated previously that they would not play under Munro again, but Thomas was hopeful he could persuade them to rejoin the team. "An assistant coach would be very helpful. Things look very bright at the moment," Thomas said.
"I am looking forward to Munro meeting with the team as a group. We hope to agree that all is well that ends well," Thomas said.
When interviewed yesterday. Munro had not been informed of Watson's final decision. Asked if he had any plans or ideas to avoid a reoccurrence of this year's grievances, Munro said that "he did not have any ideas in mind." He said he had not had time to consider whether he would meet with the players in the near future.
Watson had decided last month to retain Munro, but he asked the Faculty Committee to advise him on his decision. The Committee heard testimony last Thursday and advised unanimously on Saturday to retain Munro.
The Committee had no recommendations for settlement of the dispute besides the final verdict. Watson was not at the meeting and only received the decision.
The Committee agreed Saturday to appoint Franklin Ford, chairman of the Committee, as its sole spokesman for matters discussed. Ford declined to comment yesterday on the matters discussed.